Are you registered as a taxpayer, and unsure of what your tax reference number is?

There are many easy options available in order to retrieve your tax reference number:

1. Your employer might have registered you for a tax reference number, in this case, check your IRP5 or payslip as the tax reference number may appear on these documents.

2. Phone the SARS call centre on 0800 007277 to find out if you are registered and what your reference number is; or

3. Request your tax reference online, using the following steps:

Visit the SARS Website

On the top of the page, you will find a menu bar, click on “Contact Us”.



Click on “Request my tax number”.


Under ‘Query Type’ select “What’s my tax number?”


Complete the form by filling in all of your details, and then click “Submit”.

SARS will now send your tax number to you, provided they were able to verify the details entered on the form, against the details they have registered to your tax number.

For more information, contact Xena Accounting